Thursday, June 28, 2007

Because Beth Said Pretty Please

:)

Potato salad is such a personal dish, it seems that everyone likes it different. This recipe is the one that I've made for years and years and everyone always comes back for more. It's modified (as is practically everything I make) from the old Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook.

Creamy Potato Salad

6 medium potatoes (appr. 2lbs)
½ cup finely (believe this) chopped onion
½ cup chopped sweet pickle
1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
2 t sugar
2 t celery seed (an important ingredient, weird-I know)
2 t prepared mustard
2 t vinegar (or pickle juice)
1 ½ t salt

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender (40 or less minutes usually). While potatoes boil, mix up rest of ingredients in a bowl. Peel and cube potatoes. Add to mayo mixture. Toss. Chill.

I like to do this when the potatoes are still hot. It makes for a more mushy potato salad. If you like your potato salad without the mush, cool the potatoes first and more gently fold mayo mix into potatoes.

3 comments:

"My Little Wonders" said...

mmmmm...I am gonna have to make that.
The mac and cheese one too when you post it.
Quick question....why no potatoes or noodles?
Blessings Lori

My name is Michelle. said...

I'm self-diagnosed as having reactive hypoglycemia. When I eat certain foods (basically simple sugars or anything "white" like white bread, rice or potatoes) my blood sugar will spike up and then fall scary low (it's been in the lower 40's before) before it stabalizes. Which is not at all fun. So I just avoid these foods.

There isn't much nutritional content in them anyway. But I do still make them for my family fairly often. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle...you're the bomb!