Thursday, January 11, 2007

Doodie Plops

Beth asked if the cookies I mentioned yesterday were no bake. They absolutely are!

They are quick, easy and frugal (notice I did NOT mention healthy anywhere in that). They are also made with ingredients that I usually have on hand. Which is always a plus. These can also be made without cocoa and the peanut butter plops (as we call them) are delicious in their own right.

; )

You must have all the ingredients measured out beforehand. Down to having the waxed paper ready to go. You simply will not have time to do this otherwise.

Doodie Plops

2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 stick (I know) of butter
3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder


Mix all together in a large pot over medium high heat. Stir until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove stirring instrument and allow mixture to hard boil for exactly two minutes. Set a timer. Trust me.

At exactly the two minute mark, pull the pot off the heat. Working *very* quickly as this will set up super fast, add:

1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter


Mix (quickly, again, trust me here) until peanut butter is almost totally dissolved. This should take no more than 10-15 seconds. Then quickly dump in:

3 cups oatmeal

Stir as fast as possible. As soon as it looks mostly mixed (again, not more than 10-15 seconds) "plop" these out on waxed paper.

They should be ready to eat in just a few minutes.

If you want something prettier, you can always pour them into a pan and then slice them like cookie bars.

After writing this out, it sounds complicated and finicky. It's really not. It's super quick and easy and I can usually get this made for my family in under 10 minutes, including clean-up time. Don't let all of my "warnings" scare you. This is definitely worth learning to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the NAME of these cookies cracks me right up!!!

My name is Michelle. said...

LOL I know! The kids *adore* them. And love sharing both the cookies and the name with their friends.

Unknown said...

It was so interesting to find this recipe on someone else's blog. These were my favorite after-school snack growing up! (We actually called them "no bake cookies" but your name is alot cuter!) I made them again recently, but accidentally put a bit too much PB - whoops! (I had to add more milk so they would go smooth again!) Thanks for sharing!

Carrie said...

LOLOLOL I gotta tell ya, I have NEVER EVER heard these cookies names as DOODY PLOPS and I've been making them since I was a kid!! lololol We always called them Preacher Cookies. I just had to share! lol I like your site a lot! I hope you will share a lot more recipes!