Friday, July 28, 2006

Amazing Women

I've run across an article a couple of times in the last couple of days reading different blogs. And it was one of those things that I just had to wait to comment on. I had to wait to let my thoughts settle.

At first I thought it was a joke. Not a funny "ha ha" joke, but something that a journalist wrote to get attention. And it very well may be just that. But when the subject is your children...well, that just changes everything. Would she sell out her children to write this for the "fame"? I realize there are people that would. But I can't decide which seems better in my mind.

  1. If she truly feels the way she's saying in her article.
  2. Or if she really does love and adore her children and just wants the attention.

The article is found here:

Article

The general idea is that she finds her children "boring". Yes, she says the word. Repeatedly.

And of course, that's such strong language to those of us that are homemakers (or not) and care for our children profoundly.

But I think that's overshadowing what she's *really* saying in the article. And that always makes me uncomfortable. It's almost like a subliminal message.

She not only talk about her children "boring" her, but she then goes on to discuss studies that say that (and I'm paraphrasing) her uninvolved way is the right way because children shouldn't be overindulged and their every whim catered to (and yes I know that's a hideous run-on sentence...It's content I'm going for here! LOL).

Whoa! It's not one or the other. There are all sorts of shades of gray. Her logic is so totally flawed that it's moronic.

And her poor children. The last 2 (short) paragraphs in the article hurt my heart. And I get the feeling she thinks it's good. Or cute. She certainly thought it was a nice way to end the article at any rate.

I have very strong feelings on parenting (mothering in particular). I've done it for over 20 years now (if you start counting with the beginning of my first pregnancy, which I certainly do).

I am so not perfect. But that is certainly one of the areas in my life that I strive for perfection. These are my children. My future.

Tell me what is more important.

No comments: