Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tuna Patties

Recipe (and trust me, I use the word loosely) follows pics.

I start with several small, or 3-4 big packs of light tuna. Of course you can used canned as well. I found these packs on sale Buy-1-Get-1-Free. I've also heard that you can substitute canned Salmon, but have never tried it that way.


As per most of my concoctions, chop some onion. This is about a cup.



Throw in a handful of Parmesan cheese.


A cup or so of breadcrumbs


This is the special ingredient. A couple of tablespoons of this makes them nice and spicy. Of course, use which spices you like.

A handful of shredded cheese (they do not taste cheesy at all, this just tends to make them moist and can certainly be omitted)


A tablespoon or so of chopped garlic or to taste


Dump in the tuna (and not shown but needed, 1 large egg)


I have no idea why Worcestershire is so good in this, but it is. I use a few shakes.


Mix it all together



Spoon it out on a greased pan.


Douse liberally with olive oil (this gives it a crunchier exterior)


In the oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. I then turn on the broiler to brown them a bit.


And this is the finished product

Preheat oven to 425

Recipe:

7 single serve packs of light tuna (or possibly equal amounts of Salmon?)

1 cup of chopped onion

½ cup Parmesan cheese

1 cup (or more) bread crumbs

2 T Greek seasoning (or whatever you like)

½ (or so) cup of shredded cheese

1 T chopped garlic (or to taste)

1 L Egg ***Not pictured, but needed to bind ingredients***

1 T (or so) Worcestershire

Mix and shape into patties, place on greased baking pan. Douse with olive oil. Cook for 15-20 min. at 425. May need to broil for a minute or two afterward to brown a bit.

Serve with homemade tartar sauce (and my girls like to add ketchup, like with fish sticks?)

***These are actually very, very good fried. Just mix them up as directed and then fry in small quantities in a skillet with an inch or so of med/high hot oil until golden brown (several minutes per side). But be warned, they splatter and pop hot oil like nobodies business. That's the only reason I bake them now. I can't stand the oil splatters.

2 comments:

Andrea Maddiex said...

Yummy!!
My group eats a lot of tuna, and my hubby is a huge fan of tuna patties. But, I too HATED cooking them because of all the grease splattering. (I never knew they could be done in the oven!) Excellent!

Hopewell said...

Sounds great. Wonder if Greek seasoning can be had in this area?.....