Monday, January 14, 2008

Menu Plan Monday (With Costs!)



Finally!

I've really missed having my meals all planned out. Over the Holiday's it was all but impossible to do as we snacked or cooked for this or that event. And while I love the Holidays, I'm really glad to be back on a better eating schedule. We all agree that we're tired of the rich foods. And are ready for more healthful meals.

And on that note, I have a confession. My husband will hardly eat my rolls. He likes the taste of them, but not the all white flour/no nutrition aspect. So I've been fiddling around trying to find a good whole wheat recipe that everyone would like. And I've found one! I've not calculated the cost yet, but it's certainly not as cheap as my rolls. But there is the health factor to consider and the family does love it. I will still make the rolls, but will cut it down to once a week or so. I hope to have the new bread recipe up soon with pictures!

What I'm working with this week:

Alanna's Mexican Rice Bake has become a staple in our home. I made a huge pan of that yesterday and have some leftovers. We have some root vegetables. And a HUGE pile of bananas that I got for next to nothing at the store yesterday because they were ready to be eaten.

On to the menu. Prices are rounded to the nearest 25¢. The total price of food is counted on the day that it is cooked. Leftovers are counted as $0. On any day that no vegetable is mentioned there is a raw vegetable platter served and $2 is added to the menu cost for that day for the cost of the vegetables with dressing. There are always homemade rolls. They cost me less than 35¢ to make and last for several days.

Monday - Alanna's Mexican Rice Bake leftovers with a huge salad. $4.50

Tuesday - Crockpot roast and carrots with oven fries. $11.00

Wednesday - Dinner at church. I'll bring something sweet. $3.25

Thursday - Leftover crockpot roast shredded burritos and fixins. $2.50

Friday - Sandwich night. Maybe some soup if I'm feeling adventurous. $6.50

Total for the work week : $27.75

For more menu inspiration, head over to Laura's Blog!

5 comments:

Andrea Maddiex said...

Hello!
I really look forward to your Monday menu with the costs! We are still getting over the flu so meal planning has been at a stand still. Glad your back! Missed ya!!

"My Little Wonders" said...

Wow!! Happy Ann. and Happy B-Day!
Sounds like you had fun shopping, I was wondering what the huge tub of organic coconut oil was for? If you don't mind my asking. Glad to see you back I have missed you very much. Looking forward to frugal fridays from you, lol remember the epilator...lol
Blessings Lori

My name is Michelle. said...

Andrea, I've missed you ALL too! Thank you. :)

Lori, it was *so* much fun and I spent literally a whole day on the computer getting exactly what I wanted. Fun and relaxing.

About the coconut oil...I'm one of those people who think the right kind of fat is good for you. And I go out of my way to incorporate it into our diet. Coconut oil is one of those fats. (Along with real butter and EVOO.) I use cocout oil in place of other oils in almost all of our baked goods. It makes the worlds *best* cornbread. I'll even melt a little a put it into smoothies!

Anonymous said...

Is Alanna's Mexican Rice Bake recipe somewhere here on your blog? Can a take a peek at it..I'm getting ready to do next weeks menu and I'm just sitting here with a blank mind,lol.

My name is Michelle. said...

Hey Beth, she actually wrote it out in my MPM comment section on Nov. 12. This is what she said:

"Hey, I have a suggestion of what you can do for mexican...

Use some leftover meat (or just brown a pound or two of ground beef with some seasonings), add 1-2 TBSP cumin, 1/2 cup salsa (or a can of diced tomatoes and dash of cayenne pepper if you don't have salsa), and about 2 cups uncooked rice to a skillet. Heat up a minute, then add 4-5 cups water and let simmer on low till rice is tender. Put in a 9x13 baking dish - top with shredded chz, and it should be completely melted by the time you get to church. (Or pop in oven 10 min.)

Title: Quick-n-Easy Spanish Rice Bake

Tip: Cilantro and Cumin are great herbs/spices in any mexican dish. And beans are a great side."

The only thing I do differently is that I add (homemade) taco seasoning to the meat, I use canned tomatoes (to keep costs down) and brown rice (for health reasons) and so have to simmer it for close to an hour. The family really, really likes it.