Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bullet Post

Because I'll never catch up otherwise.


  • Christmas was busy.

Things were not spread out nearly enough this year. Everyone wants "last minute" time. It makes for a really stressful time with no time in between events to decompress. Or prepare for the next event. We had 4 big parties (the first we threw here), and 1 smaller overnight teenage thing in the five days leading up to Christmas. Just the shopping and cooking for these was enough to fill every day. There were good reasons for each of these things to happen when they did this year, and I'm assuming it's a fluke and will not happen again like this next year. Or the year after. Or the year after. Because if it does, we'll have to graciously bow out of most of them.

  • New Years was quiet.

Exactly the way we like it. We had pigs in a blanket and chicken fingers, sparkling grape juice and The Pioneer Woman's Apple Pie (with storebought crust). Yes, I've been keeping a cooking secret from all of you. Not intentionally. Just because I've not really posted since I found her site. But since I have I've made her mashed potatoes, bread pudding (without the whisky), and her apple pie. To say that we have not been disappointed would be accurate. And an understatement.

  • Somewhere before Christmas my husband and I celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary.

How did that happen? We can't possibly have been married that long. Even though our oldest is almost 21. He's still my teenage crush. And one that I've been through a lifetime of experiences with. We have been through so much and even in the hard, hard times I would rather be with him going through it that with anyone else, doing anything else in the world. He is my family.

  • On January 6 I turned 42 years old.

My birthday has become a time of reflection for me. It's my own personal "New Year" celebration. I think about the previous year and the things I would like to change. Where I want to be.

You see, the part of me that I post here is just a teeny part of who I am. I have several other interests and passions but never seem to discuss them here. For example, I rarely talk religion. I'm not sure why. I suppose it's because I don't feel wise enough to do so yet. But it's a huge part of my life. And one area that I may start blogging about as I learn. I suppose I fear that it will isolate people, but sometimes God moves in such a way that it feels wrong to not share it. You all know that I have a passion for cooking and frugality but I also have deep interest in survivalism. And politics. And natural medicine (says the RN). I have a passion for gardening. And time management. And organization. And learning. And self sufficiency. And parenting. And nutrition.

Not that I'm knowledgeable about all of these. But I have a deep interest in them. And spend time reading about at least some of these topics online almost daily. And I need to update my sidebar to include many of these people/places that I read.

  • The Christmas giftcards were so fun.

I mentioned before that my sweet husband got me a Visa giftcard for Christmas. He didn't have a lot of time for shopping this year so he did this instead. I've been ordering things that I've wanted/needed forever and it's been a blast!. So far I've ordered/got:

Aprons

Potholders

A butter keeper (best thing EVER)

A diffuser for my hairdryer

A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays (book)

Decadent socks

A huge tub of organic coconut oil

And a lovely new cookware set

Also I still plan to buy my buckets and lids (listed on my sidebar) and some garden stuff.

Whew! Enough for now. I hope to catch up with all of you soon, but it may take me a couple of weeks I'm so far behind.


3 comments:

TheNormalMiddle said...

Of everything, I'm most jealous of the organic coconut oil!!!! :)

Laura said...

Thank you for "visiting" my blog! I enjoyed this post very much. Happy belated Anniversary and Birthday!!! How wonderful!
I understand completely when you say that you have many interests but only seem to blog about a couple of them. I have just started to introduce my few blog readers to some of the other "parts" of me which is good, I think, because that is how we are in real life!! And that is what makes people interesting...so I hope you share some of your other interests too :)
Hope you are not too busy to pop in to do a short post here and there, but understand that your family and your sanity are more important that a blog post!!!
Happy Sunday!

Carrie J said...

We share many of the same interest. I love to garden and I own many books on getting back to basics and survivalism. I try to learn as many skills as I can. I love Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. There is so much information! One never knows when you might need to know how to pluck a chicken or build a barn, or make cheese! LOL. Seriously, if you haven't read it it is a wealth of really good info on basic living.
Belated happy birthday wishes. Our 29th anniversary was on Jan 6 so I know what you mean about finding it hard to believe you have been married so long. My oldest had birthday #27 on the 8th.
I'm glad to see you back and look forward to reading what you have to share with us.