Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Frugal Deals (continued)

OK, this is what I got at CVS yesterday. This weeks "out of pocket" (meaning what I paid cash after the coupons and ecb's) was pretty high. I'm trying to decide if it was a good deal or not.



Starting from the left (kind of):

-5 12pk coke product

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Come on, who really needs coke? In my defense, this is probably the only coke I'll buy all summer.)

(Why was this a good deal? Because it was buy 4 get 1 free so I ended up with 5 12pks for $11. Which seems to be a pretty good price around these parts.)

-2 Revlon blush products and a sharpener

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Because I already have one that I'm using and one in reserve.)

(Why was this a good deal? Because this is the blush I wear, and I wear it almost daily. And the deal was if you spend $20 in Revlon products, you get $10 ecb's. So I got it for practically half-price. Kinda. And it will keep. And I will use it.)

-Huge pack of hairbacks

(Not on sale. $4.99 We needed them. We go through them like water on a hot August day.)

-2 tins of cashews

(Why was this NOT a good deal? The only thing coming to mind is that this isn't the healthiest kind of nut?)

(Why was this a good deal? Because they were on sale for $4.39 AND they were buy 1 get one free! So I got 2 containers for $4.39)

-3 pk of CVS paper towels

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Well, they're not my favorite paper towel. And are paper towels *really* necessary?)

(Why was this a good deal? Because we still DO sometimes use paper towels. And they were $2.49 AND I got back a $1 ecb. Less that 50 cents a roll.)

-Advil PM

(Why was this NOT a good deal? We don't use this kind of thing often?)

(Why was this a good deal? Because when we do need something like this it's usually late at night and it's awfully nice to have it stocked. And it was $2.99 AND I had a $2 coupon. So I got it for less that $1!)

-2 packs of shakeable flashlights

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Can't think of a single reason other than it was an impulse buy which I'd been trying to avoid.)

(Why was this a good deal? We bought one of these packs last Christmas time for $19. We loved them. They were *clearanced* yesterday for... get this ... $2 a pack! I got them both for $4. I'm doing a little happy dance for this particular find. :)

-2 Degree antiperspirant

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Because I picked up the kind that I didn't have the coupon for.)

(Why was this a good deal? It wasn't. It was on sale, but I still paid $1.99 each and I can get it cheaper than that at Sam's typically.)

-2 200pk Splenda

(Why was this NOT a good deal? Can't think of a reason.)

(Why was this a good deal? Because it was 2/$14 and I got back a $5 ecb. That is a really good price here for 400ct Splenda. And I use it. Very sparingly. But I do use it.)

Cons:

I ended up paying $47 out of pocket. That is a LOT. I try to keep it between $20-$25. I also had $26 in ecb's that I used. And I "only" got back $16 in ecb's. Next week, I'll be much more selective.


Pros:

I didn't buy one thing that I didn't need or don't normally use or stock. So I suppose I should feel good about that.

So how did you do this week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to cvs this week..why? Because I didn't see any real good deals that I couldn't live without. We've stopped buying pop and are drinking tons more water, but that is a good deal on Coke. I haven't worn makeup in..gosh..months. But ya know..the flashlights are a good deal! We have some and love them because I swear before whenever we needed a flashlight the batteries were dead and of course somebody snagged all the batteries and used them for other things. UGH! Doesn't that happen in other peoples homes too? lol