Monday, November 19, 2007

Menu Plan Monday - With Costs!


I first have to thank Alanna. She gave me a recipe (in the comment section of last weeks MPM)for my Bible study last week that will become yet another staple in our home. The people at church devoured it! There was barely a single grain of rice left. So thank you. Very much.

Well, this is going to be an off week because, like most Americans, we celebrate Thanksgiving this Thursday. We, fortunately, still have my Great Aunt & Uncle who we love and adore to spend the holiday with and even though I'm 41, I'm still to bring only a dessert and maybe some deviled eggs. They (my aunt and uncle) really love to cook the whole meal. Which is nuts because they're really pretty old (mid 80's), but I've found over the years that they genuinely get upset if you bring more than they ask. So...there will be mandatory mooching off of them this Thursday.

What I'm working with this week:

Leftovers, Chinese and lots of it. We picked up some yesterday and I had a mild allergic reaction to my spicy vegetables. I have a shellfish allergy and it must have been cooked in the same oil that cooked shrimp, scallops or something. Anyway, so there is more than enough of that left over for a full meal for everyone except me.

I'll also be making a grocery run today for many of the little special items that I tend to pick up for the holidays, so there's no telling what I might end up with there.

On to the menu. Prices are rounded to the nearest 25¢. The total price of food is counted on the day that it is cooked. Leftovers are counted as $0. On any day that no vegetable is mentioned there is a raw vegetable platter served and $2 is added to the menu cost for that day for the cost of the vegetables with dressing. There are always homemade rolls. They cost me less than 35¢ to make and last for several days.

Monday - Leftover Chinese (I'll have some soup.) $1.25 (for my can of soup)

Tuesday - Linguine with homemade pesto (very last of the basil :(). $7

Wednesday - Let the feasting begin! Will be cooking this day for the next. We'll nibble off that. ~$20

Thursday - Huge meal at G. Aunts house. I'm to bring dessert and deviled eggs. $0 (Counted yesterday.)

Friday - Leftovers. $0

Total for the work(ish) week - $28.25

For more menu inspiration, head over to Laura's Blog!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're very welcome! I'm glad it worked out so well. It's a staple in our house too - I love that you don't have to have much to throw it all together, you know?!

I want to try your rolls next. They look so delicious!

My name is Michelle. said...

I also love the fact that you don't have to have the meat thawed! You can go from freezer to supper in an hour and ½ or so (I use brown rice). So that *tickles* me.

Denise said...

I am going to have to try Alanna's recipe!
Glad the yogurt making was successful.
I made your meatloaf. My daughter LOVED it. She said she could literally eat it every day!!