Saturday, October 10, 2009

In Keeping With My New Goals

The rain here has been abundant. Huge, fierce storms that blow in and back out just as quickly. Leaving glistening puddles and drips in the brilliant sunshine.

Jillian loves to play in the rain. She was outside yesterday right after a storm had blown through and came bursting through the door to tell me of a rainbow that ended in the neighbors yard! I grabbed my camera but unfortunately it was gone. But I did capture a few pictures of beauty found in the small things.


Jillian drenched and on the swing here daddy made her.


Our thornless blackberry patch. Last spring it was two little sticks in the ground.


The runoff that keeps the blackberries growing like weeks.


Ripening Figs


Some of the last color in the yard. These bushes got so beautiful this year.


A hot pepper plant that has been crazy prolific this year. I'm drying them as fast as possible.


Sunshine on the magnolia tree.


Us heading inside. Bare feet squishing in the mud.

4 comments:

Andrea Maddiex said...

Me and your daughter share a common bond there. I hear so many grmbling about rain but, call me crazy, I LOVE it.
Probably being dumb here- I had no idea there were thornless blackberries! Wish we had them. Interestingly, I took for granted the abundance of them in Oregon, we hardly have blackberries around here.
Very nice post. :)

My name is Michelle. said...

Well, if you're dumb then so was I until last year! LOL I saw them in a gardening catalog and just had to give them a try. I can't believe how quickly they've grown. They were literally two little bare root sticks not more than a foot and a half long. Now they are this huge twisting vine that continues to root itself again and again.

I can't remember where I ordered them, but they are like this:

http://www.fruitsandberries.com/

This was our first year of fruit and we got an amazing amount considering. And the taste was unbelievable.

If we can just train them out of the road!

Andrea Maddiex said...

Thinking of you and hoping all is well! :)

Anonymous said...

Michelle, sorry to take so long in getting back to you!
I think that the Sarah's books (mentioned in my review) would be great for a 12 year old! My 7 year old LOVES them - they are very much family style books. :)