Thursday, August 14, 2008

Running, Eating and Aging, Oh My!

I've been blogging here for a little over 2 years and I suppose over the course of time things just naturally change.

I don't feel old. Truly. But the harsh truth is...I'm not getting any younger. And I feel almost as if I'm at a crossroads in my life. It seems that people my age either start to really kick it up a notch as far as health and lifestyle are concerned, or they get old.

Yes, yes I realize that the years go by either way. But there is a difference in growing older and getting old. At least to me there is.

I want to be as healthy and active as possible for as long as possible.

So my husband and I started walking a couple of months ago. As a side note, I don't recommend STARTING a walking program in the middle of summer in the South. To say that it's hot, even late in the evening, is an understatement. To put it mildly. But we* started out strolling and pretty quickly picked it up to a fairly fast walk. An 18 minute mile is a fast walk, right? Don't laugh.

We go 1½ - 2 miles total. Now we're* up to running a third of it. Any google search turns up many "Couch to 5K in 8-9 weeks" programs online. I'm taking it a little slower. But I do plan to do it eventually. And truthfully, I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

The thing is, I ran in high school. So I FEEL like a runner. But I just not anymore. I hope to be again. But right now, no.

But we* are trying. And that's a step in the right direction. Pun intended.

We're still eating the green smoothies almost every day. I just don't think there is any argument about the nutrition in them. The other foods that we eat are pretty simple. But the goal is to try to make each bit as nutrient dense as possible. We fair at this sometimes. But it's a journey. And one that I feel blessed to be undertaking.

*Please note that when I say "we" or "we're" I'm talking about me. My husband can run circles around me. But it feels better to say "we".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:D
I am perpetually "starting" the Couch 2 5K, 2 month program. At about 2 miles, my ankle gives out (I know I need to do a longer training time, I know... lol).
It's awesome to get fit after not feeling so much so for a longer period of time.
You go girl! :D

Mom said...

Running? In the south? In the summer?

You must be out of your mind.

So sorry. It is literally too hot for me to even take a short walk outside. (I live in Georgia.)

I wanted to let you know that I added you to my "Sites to See" list. I've been meaning to do that for a while and now I've finally gotten around to it.

Good luck with the running / walking plan.

www.momstop.blogspot.com

My name is Michelle. said...

Mrs Gunning, thanks! It's neat to see others have done it as well.

Shaunalynn, we may be close! We're right on the TN/GA line. I look forward to checking out your blog when I have a little time! Thank you for your nice words. :)