Thursday, July 08, 2010

Mission Fields

I've tried to post something on this topic time and again. For whatever reason, I've never been able to do so. I've typed and erased a crazy amount of text. Everytime I go back to read it, it doesn't seem quite right. And I think I'm coming to understand why.

I'm 44 years old. I have 3 daughters. The oldest daughter is 23, middle is 15, and youngest is 12. For a long, long time, my mission has been these girls. Even before I fully understood what that meant, it was still true. It's still true today. But as my girls get older, the scope of my responsibilities has changed. For over 23 years I've had someone younger than a teenager in my home that I (along with my husband of course) cared for, loved and guided. In less than a month, that will no longer be the case. This has been the essence of "me" pretty much my whole adult life. And it's all starting to slowly shift.

Of course I realize that my daughters still need and rely on me for many things, but the things ARE changing. And while I realize it's an early worry, I don't want to be one of those moms whose last child leaves and they are lost. I'm praying God's wisdom in this area. I've had a deep desire to know what's next.

There are so many needs in our world. I'm overwhelmed. And truly excited about what the future holds as I ever so slowly make the transition from one huge mission field to another.

More as it unfolds.

No comments: