Monday, April 14, 2008

Menu Plan Monday (with costs!)



Seriously. I can't believe it's Monday already again. Every year as we wrap up the school year it takes me by surprise. Which is totally silly I know. And all the activities! From science fairs to Girl Scout dinners to play productions. And much, much more. Our schedule is starting to look scary.

We're changing things up a little here in the food department. Reevaluating how we feel nutritionally about certain foods. To tell the truth, we've gotten into eating some foods (sometimes) that are just not so healthy. White rice. White potatoes. More sweets than I would like to have here. Bacon. You know.

So I imagine our food budget is going to go out kicking and screaming. I will, of course, do what I can to keep it low. But I do want what we use to fuel our bodies to be as nutritional as possible without breaking the bank.

I am excited that our peach trees have teeny peaches on them. And it looks like we may get some cherries too this year! We've also planted more things recently, but I'll save that for a garden update post.

I've been reading Green Smoothie Girl's site and have found tons of inspiration. Though we will most likely never be vegetarian (though we were for a while). It just doesn't seem to work well for us.

Whew.

On to the menu. Prices are rounded to the nearest 25¢. The total price of food is counted on the day that it is cooked. Leftovers are counted as $0. On any day that no vegetable is mentioned there is a raw vegetable platter served and $2 is added to the menu cost for that day for the cost of the vegetables with dressing. There are always homemade rolls. They cost me less than 55¢ to make and last for several days.

(Yes, the price of bread flour has increased so much that it's made a significant price increase in my rolls. Still a great deal, but up from 35¢ last fall.)

(I also make a whole wheat bread that I will soon calculate the costs and give the recipe.)

What I'm working with this week:
TONS of fresh root vegetables (Sam's trip) and a ridiculous amount of both fresh and frozen fruit.

Monday - Steaks (my husband picked some up from the grocery store yesterday and they were not on sale, but they look fabulous), collard greens, carrots and ww bread. $29.50

Tuesday - Steak (leftover) fried quinoa. Think of it as a healthier fried rice dish? (This is an experiment. It may not work.) $4

Wednesday - Church moving party. We'll probably have to grab something out.

Thursday - Grilled thin sliced pork chops, creamed corn, salad $23.75

Friday - Pork chops (leftover) with sauteed root vegetables over quinoa. $6.25

Total for the work week - $63.50

For more menu inspiration, head over to Laura's Blog!

1 comment:

Andrea Maddiex said...

Thank You so much for checking in on me and being such a wonderful friend. I have put up a post, please come by and see it.
Andrea :)